Artist: Joseph-Fortuné Layraud, 1834-1912
Date created: 1889
Dimensions: 151 x 254
Museum name: Eco-Museum of Creusot-Montceau (gift of the 'Compagnie générale d'industrie' and contributors)
Explanatory note: oil on canvass by J. F. Layraud, presented at the Universal Exhibition of 1889, where it won a prize. It represents an ironworks hall at the Saint-Chamond shipbuilding yards: in the middle is a hammer, identical to the one that symbolises Le Creusot (and that was in use at the Schneider factories at that time), during the manufacture of a cannon.