Cluny, Musée d'art et d'archéologie, Palais Jean de Bourbon
An independent residential building, the palace built by the Abbot Jean de Bourbon in the second half of the 15th century, close to the main entrance, occupies a special position above the site of the abbey of Cluny. It was spared the vandalism of the Revolution and was then purchased by a resident of Cluny, Jean-Baptiste Ochier. It assumed its present role as museum following a gift by the widow of a Cluny doctor in 1864. Two years later the new museum opened its doors.